Licensed To Practice
Law In California

We Are Fluent
In Korean

Adults And Special Education

Q – What happens when my child receiving special education becomes the legal age (18)?

A – Individuals with special needs are generally covered by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act from birth until (a) high school graduation with a diploma, or (b) reaching the age of 22, whichever happens first. At that point, the IDEA no longer applies and an individual will need to look to other laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, for protection.


As an attorney, I can assist the individual and the parent navigate and explore ADA and Section 504 to determine what services may be available for the individual.

The contents of this article are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The contents of this article, and the posting and viewing of the information on this article, should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation, as there is no attorney-client relationship.